The largest animal ever still exists today. Balaenoptera musculus more affectionately known as the Blue Whale dwarfs any living creature past or present (dinosaurs included).
- A Blue Whale’s heart beats only 5-6 times per minute and is about the size of a Mini Cooper
- Blue Whales can weigh up to 181 metric tons (1 metric ton = 1,000 kg) or 399,000 pounds.
- The Blue Whale’s tongue weighs around 2.7 metric tons(5,952 pounds) about the size of an average Asian Elephant.
- Its mouth is large enough to hold up to 90 metric tons(198,400 pounds) of food and water which is equivalent to420,560 Big Macs.
- Despite the size of its mouth, the dimensions of its throat are such that a Blue Whale cannot swallow an object wider than a beach ball.
- The Blue Whale is thought to feed almost exclusively on small, shrimp-like creatures called Krill. During the summer feeding season the Blue Whale gorges itself, consuming an astounding 3.6 metric tons (7,900 pounds) or more each day. This means it may eat up to 40 million krill a day. The daily calorie requirement of an adult Blue Whale is in the region of 1.5 million.
- Blue whales are the loudest animals on Earth! Their call reaches levels up to 188 decibels which is louder than a jet, which reaches only 140 decibels. Human shouting is about 70 decibels.